Re: Some more background on the RFID experiment in Hiroshima

2009-09-14 16:30:18

On Sep 14, 2009, at 12:41 PM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

It means that the data will be deleted at the end of the expiriment
once the analysis is done. Educated guess: within 30 days of the end
of the meeting, I know how busy the folkds running the meeting are.
The bluesheets, on the other hand, are retained.

There is no need to retain this data once summaries and comparisons
are done.

That's a reasonably good statement of the retention policy.

For today's news about the unintended consequences of the release of experimental data, I refer you to:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,549941,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a16:g2:r2:c0.083617:b27702080:z0

In short, 35 year old research maps relating to possible Hawaiian lava flows are being used to deny insurance coverage to homeowners, even though this isn't what the maps were intended for and despite the maps having been declared as hopelessly out-of-date by their producer.

You see, the maps are effectively in the public domain. Their use, retention policy, and level of validity were not clearly described in the licensing terms given by the map makers. So the only thing anybody can do about it is make newer, better, maps, which both the homeowners and insurance companies are likely to fight because it would affect somebody's costs or profits. All politics are economical, and all science is political.

--
Dean