Re: Some more background on the RFID experiment in Hiroshima

2009-09-14 16:11:16

On Sep 13, 2009, at 11:22 PM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

How is any of this relevant to an EXPERIMENT ???

A maxim about experimentation: If the design of and data resulting from any experiment are made available, people may use these results to test hypotheses that were not necessarily envisioned by the experiment designers. In other words, people are likely to do things with the result of the experiment that we don't necessarily have in mind. This is a given, and is not necessarily a bad thing. Indeed, it is how a great many discoveries are made.

But the experimenters (and/or their sponsors) are not without liability in today's unfortunately litigious world. By making the results available, we have made some level of express or implied warranty about those results. There may also be some liability toward the experimental subjects (those of us with RFID tags, or those of us interacting with tagged persons). For example, people might use the experimental results in prosecution of patent lawsuits. If there are errors in the data, or if it can be argued that there were flaws in the experiment that were not disclosed to the users of the data, we could potentially be liable for damages.

So any collection, retention, and/or release of data has to be protected by explicit disclosure of policy and known limitation. The "implicit warranty" has to be made explicit, and in our case it most likely had better explicitly say that we're not making any assertions about the validity of the data, the collection method, the names or locations of the participants, or anything else. We should probably also document the data retention policy, which in this case is probably "We may dispose of these data at any time and are not obligated to preserve or retain them or to make them available at any future date." Further, we may wish to release the data with some sort of explicit licensing terms that include this explicit non-warranty of the experiment's validity.

--
Dean