Re: IASA Experiments and responsibilities (was: Re: Some more background on the RFID experiment in Hiroshima)

2009-09-14 01:01:28

John,

With all due respect: The WIDE folks, host of IETF 76, have offered to
showcase a technology that is being used increasingly for all kinds of
things including public transportation system, door entry, and various
other interesting applications. We've labelled this as an experiment
and we've given everyone the option to NOT participate and we've
encouraged a discussion of the many issues surrounding privacy and
security that might arise by deploying such technology. We've also,
with the help of the host, outlined some of the technical details and
received feedback that I am sure will help improve many operational
and privacy/security aspects of the experiment, details of which are
being designed as we speak. As you know, Asia in general and Japan in
particular is very high-tech and I am sure most IETF attendees will
find the experiment interesting.

I think it's a real stretch to link this to any BCP, RFC or IASA
founding document, but please don't read this as saying that your
questions aren't worth considering and/or answering. (But, as an
individual IAOC member I won't be doing that here).

Just to be clear, the IAOC did not initiate the RFID experiment, and
you are correct that the community did not ask for it. The WIDE folks
are working very hard to provide us with a great meeting, and as part
of this effort they are showcasing some cool technologies. The RFID
system is one such technology.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj