Some more background on the RFID experiment in Hiroshima

2009-09-10 15:24:34

An Overview of the RFID Experiment for IETF 76 in Hiroshima.

Some of the details are still being worked out, but here is a summary:

Basics
------

* Each attendee will be issued an RFID card at the registration desk.
  The information stored on the card is ONLY a number, no personal
  data is stored on the card. (Note: the attendee can opt out at any
  time, including not collecting the card, see below).

* The "information" (number) on the card is not encrypted and could be
  read by any RFID reader, but again, it's only a number.

* The number is "linked" to a back-end database through the readers
  provided at the meeting.

* The database will contain only the following information from the
  registration data:

First Name, Last Name, Affiliation (if present), and ISO-3166 Code

* Each attendee will also be issued a username and password. This will
  give him/her access to the back-end database (via a web interface)
  where the user can:

-- Change password (user will be strongly encouraged to change pasword
   on first login)

-- Change the User's Profile: Name, Affiliation, ISO-3166 Code, or add
   data, such as a photo, alias name, dietary preference etc, etc.)

-- Delete account to opt out of the experiment at any time.

Uses of the System
------------------

There are several planned uses of the RFID cards:

1. Speaker-at-microphone identification. A reader attached to the
   microphone(s) reads the card and causes his/her name any other info that
   the user has elected to include in the Profile to be displayed on the
   screen.

   [Note: Certain information may be displayed by default, but this will be
   user-configurable, for example I may choose NOT to have "Cisco Systems"
   displayed when I am at the microphone, but for statistical purposed it may
   still be OK to count the number of people from Cisco in summary form. The
   profile will have options to "display" or "don't display" certain fields.
   It will also be possible for me to have a DIFFERENT affiliation when I am
   standing at the microphone if I opt to have the "alias" affiliation (or
   none) displayed instead of my normal one].

2. Electronic bluesheet: Used in a manner similar to the paper blusheets to
   record attendance in a given working group/session. This is NOT intended to
   replace the paper bluesheets, even if one could envision such in the future.

3. Customized uses: Various information can be customized based on the
   user's profile. So, suppose my profile contains a "dietary" field which
   says "vegetarian," an information display could show me a list of
   vegetarian restaurants. There will be some examples of this at IETF 76 in
   Hiroshima.

Data rentention
---------------

The data collected in this experiment will only be used for basic
statistical purposes. Since there is a blue-sheet component to this
experiment it will be useful to compare the real bluesheet data with
the electronic equivalent, but the official (legal) attendance record
will still be based on the paper version. And the database will then
be deleted.

The PASPY Card
--------------

Attendees who sign up for the IETF 76 Social will receive SECOND,
different kind of RFID card, called PASPY. The PASPY card is an
example of a "stored value" system which is increasingly being used in
Japan and elsewhere, mostly for public transportation systems. In
Hiroshima, PASPY is currently valid on the tram and bus system, with
more systems underway. The PASPY cards are NOT linked to the IETF 76
database or associated in any way with the RFID cards described above.

Please see: http://www.yikes.com/~ole/store/Hiroshima/Trains.htm

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PASPY

The PASPY cards are contributed by the City of Hiroshima. They have a
pre-loaded amount of 1,000 yen and can be used on the local
transportation system and allow free access to the Hiroshima Peace
Museum. No personal information is stored on these cards, but I will
note that it is *possible* to register your card so that it can be
disabled (or returned to its owner) if lost or stolen. Take a look at
this picture: http://www.yikes.com/~ole/store/cards.jpg

If you read katakana you will notice that this PASPY card says, the
equivalent of: "Jacobsen Ole". I think the only information I gave
them was my cellphone number, but the registration form allows more
information to be recorded. (Of course none of this is stored on the
card itself).

Obviously, if you use your PASPY card extensively during the IETF, you
may need to reload it with more money. More information on where you
can use the PASPY card, how to reload it and so on will be provided by
the local host onsite. There may also be some IETF76-customized uses
of the PASPY card, but again, it's not linked to the back-end database
described above.

I hope this answers some of the questions posted to the IETF list
regarding the RFID experiment. As I said, the local host is still
working hard to implement some of the details. We hope you will
participate and provide feedback.

Ole J. Jacobsen, IAOC Meetings Committee

Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj