Re: [IAB] [rfc-i] path forward with RFC 3932bis

2009-09-23 11:41:54

--On Wednesday, September 23, 2009 08:02 +0300 Jari Arkko
<jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net> wrote:

I came up with some ways of changing the text, e.g., just
saying "work done in the IETF" and dropping the word
"community". However, is not clear to me that any other words
couldn't be misunderstood in the similar manner. In addition,
if we dropped the word community, would this mean that a BOF
that is about to be chartered as an official working group
would not count as an IETF activity yet?

For better or worse, a group that is putting together a BOF
under current rules -- applications, posting of draft agendas
and sometimes even charters, etc.-- represents considerable work
"done in the IETF.  One that is about to be chartered is even
further along.   The problem area, wrt either the IRTF or
Independent Submissions, is when someone has sort of started
thinking that it might be a good idea for the IETF to do some
work in the area... someday.   That isn't "work in the IETF"
because no real work has been done and the text doesn't say
"speculation about possible work in the IETF".

Expanding to "the IETF community" might bring in the
speculations, organizations that use IETF documents but are not
the IETF itself, etc.

There is obviously still a gray area there, but I'm inclined to
trust the IESG's discretion -- and the problem resolution
procedure-- rather than trying to nail down every boundary case.

   john