Re: China venue survey

2009-09-23 10:45:55
Speaking just for myself.

On Sep 23, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Ben Campbell wrote:

On Sep 22, 2009, at 10:14 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

I'm not talking about incitement to riot, advocacy of terrorism,
expressions of racial hatred, or anything of the kind. As I have
expressed several times in this thread, I'm talking about discussion of
technical topics that impinge on the political realm: things like the
use of encryption to protect personal privacy (especially from the
prying eyes of Isaac and Justin), the Internet as a technology that
routes around censorship as damage, and the simple human right to be
*left alone* by government bureaucrats and other such busybodies if one
is going about one's business in a peaceful manner.

Concrete example:

Would a presentation on how tor was used to bypass state controls on news during the recent election protests in Iran be acceptable under the terms of the agreement?

I don't see why not. We have been invited to come. IETF's talk about these sorts of things as part of our technical discussions. Our hosts know this, and must be prepared for it. I would have no hesitation in giving such a talk myself, if I felt it was appropriate on technical grounds (and if the topic was appropriate in terms of the IETF process, WG charter, plenary session topic, etc.).

Note, by the way, that technical knowledge is almost always a double edged sword. What you see as a survey of means to escape censorship others might see as a survey of means to improve censorship. When I gave talks about arms control, I always saw people from "the other side" in attendance. I would assume that the same is true here.

Regards
Marshall

That would sound like a perfectly appropriate and timely plenary presentation. And it seems to me to violate the plain language of the agreement concerning "human rights".