Re: China venue survey

2009-09-23 10:27:43

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Ben Campbell wrote:

Concrete example:

Would a presentation on how tor was used to bypass state controls on
news during the recent election protests in Iran be acceptable under
the terms of the agreement?

That would sound like a perfectly appropriate and timely plenary
presentation. And it seems to me to violate the plain language of
the agreement concerning "human rights".

I am going to assume that such a presentation would be largerly
technical, a case study with some political overtones, but technical
nonetheless. I would not expect this to get you in trouble, no.

Now, if you were to call the China Daily in advance and announce that
you intented to reveal (new) methods for circumventing state laws and
you declared this an open BOF where members of the public were invited
to come and listen to your (I am assuming) perfect Mandarin, then I
can imagine you would politely be asked to refrain from this activity.

I am sure we can dream up other scenarioes, but at the risk of
repeating myself: in the 68 meetings of the IETF that I have attended,
I've never observed activity that would cause concern in the context
that we are discussing.

Ole