Re: Local Beijing people response - RE: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-10-03 11:55:12
On Fri, October 2, 2009 3:55 pm, Noel Chiappa wrote:

It's not clear that (self-)censorship is going to be the worst problem
from
an IETF in the PRC. One of the things I would be most concerned about is
the
PRC government using this meeting for propoganda purposes (either
internal,
or external), as happened with the Olympics. Yes, we are very small fry
indeed compared to the IOC, but I'm not interested in lending the IETF's
good
name to any government.

Let's be real. Were we offended when, during the Adelaide South Australia
meeting, the local government made sure the newspapers knew about us and
granted Adelaide some prestige for being involved? Nope. The government of
South Australia isn't scary and isn't actively involved in censoring,
blocking, and obfuscating the Internet. In fact, the local government rep
spoke at our plenary, and asked as many of us as possible to consider
moving to Adelaide permanently. No worries, mate!

Do find the PRC government somewhat more threatening than the government
of South Australia? If so, why, and what should we do about it if
anything? Constructive engagement and avoidance are both valid options
that have been brought into this debate. The current hosting contact terms
have led me to favor the latter, but both positions have merit if we can
manage the risks.

--
Dean