RE: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was: Re: Request for communityguidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-10-09 17:30:46
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Noel Chiappa
Sent: Friday, October 09, 2009 4:03 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: jnc(_at_)mercury(_dot_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu
Subject: Re: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was: Re: Request for
communityguidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

   > From: Michael StJohns <mstjohns(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net>

  > For the PRC we've been told (in black and white as part of a legal
  > document - not as anecdotal information) that a) certain acts and
 > topics of discussion are forbidden by law or contract ...
   > With respect to ... any of our hosts in the past, show me the
contract
  > language, laws, or other indication where things normally
discussed or
   > designed at an IETF would be considered illegal.

Interesting point. I can recall a number of countries with _export_
restrictions on some things, and perhaps one with a _use_ restriction,
but I
can't think of one where "discuss[ion] or design[ing]" anything would
have
been prohibited. Did I too miss one?

      Noel

Since people mostly use crypto technology as a straw-man for something
they think it is illegal to discuss in China, I googled "Cryptography
Conference China" which yields at least the following:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2IrIh6sYl8cC&dq=cryptography+conference
+china&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=-FSbcy9jzf&sig=PycGmAPHcpqrTzDL
79R1pERBFmM&hl=en&ei=PKfPSo72HZOoNv3YhfEE&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&
resnum=4&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false, proceedings of the 5th
International Conference, Applied Cryptography and Network Security
(2007)

http://books.google.com/books?id=k9g8nEfe7fcC&dq=cryptography+conference
+china&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=RyB0ytWPpo&sig=JBHhOhIkMRgkRsN5
P2IjFK_n88I&hl=en&ei=PKfPSo72HZOoNv3YhfEE&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&
resnum=7&ved=0CBkQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=&f=false, proceedings of the 10th
International Conference on Practice and Theory in Public Key
Cryptography, Beijing, China, April 2007

It is probably safe to say that it is not illegal to discuss
cryptography in China.

Googling "firewall security conference china" yields at least the
following:
http://sites.google.com/site/asergrp/projects/policy which contains
further a list of publications and conferences held in China (Shanghai
and Beijing), some IEEE/IFIP, for example, 1st IEEE international
workshop on security in software engineering held in Beijing in 2007.

It is probably also safe to say that it is not illegal to discuss
firewall, software security in China.

Thanks,
Jerry
--
Jerry Huang, AT&T Labs, +1 630 810 7679 (+1 630 719 4389, soon)