Re: draft-nottingham-site-meta: registration too slow, opaque

2009-10-23 12:36:40
On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 11:38:25AM -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
I have tried to keep W3C out of the registry business all together,
but IANA is widely reputed to be slow and opaque, and my own
personal experience bears that out to some extent, so I can't
completely stop people who are willing to set up registries in W3C
(not to mention elsewhere...). If IANA has in fact gotten a lot better
lately, perhaps we just need to address the perception part.

For a first-come-first-served name registry, with simple naming
constraints, I think one should be able to automate a registry.  Some
latency is needed to deal with spammers, of course.  Even if you need
Expert review, the name camping part of the process can be automated.

Whether the IANA can deal with automating such things, I don't know, but
if not then it may just be a matter of tools availability.