Re: OK, final NAT66 argument (Was: NAT Not Needed To Make Renumbering Easy

2009-11-09 04:39:07
Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

I assert that regardless of whether NAT66 is a good or a bad thing,
anything that layers on IPv6 must be NAT66 tolerant.

Because IPv6 is a bad thing, there should be nothing on IPv6.

Observation: Without NAT44 the internet would already have run out of
address space.

Observation: With NAT44 and unicast class E (and part of D) the
IPv4 Internet would not run out of address space for the time
being.

I think that it is
now very clear that the IPv6 transition will take at least another
decade

Considering that development of IPv6 did not take so many years,
it is better to have another IPng which is more easily deployable
than IPv6.

If we accept these two observations we arrive at a proof that NAT66 is
unavoidable.

Only if IPv6 were worth deploying.

                                                        Masataka Ohta