Re: RFC levels and I-D "levels"

2009-11-13 17:42:34
Yaron,

-          Only non-expired drafts should be directly accessible from the
tools area, or in fact have a stable IETF URL.

Everything at tools.ietf.org is volunteer-maintained and unofficial.
That's why the I-D announcements contain the URL that they do, which
only allows you to recover the given version until it expires or is
updated.

If you quote http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-something or
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-something *without* the version
number, you get the latest version. That's what I usually quote for
external (non-IETF) use, so that the recipient will always see the
latest.

Expired drafts will still be kept around, but will require a (freely
available) "tools" login.

This would be highly inconvenient, and the Google cache defeats its purpose
anyway.

I think we have an ideal setup right now (for I-Ds that is; I have
given up worrying about the standards track, since the IETF is clearly
incapable of consensus on this aspect).

    Brian