3932bis approval

2009-11-20 09:44:37
Hi,

We have obviously had a lengthy process around the update to RFC 3932. Including some heated discussion and differing opinions. The document specifies IESG procedures for checking RFC editor submissions for conflicts with IETF work. We have already earlier resolved the issue of whether the IESG notes are used for all documents (as they are today) or if they are exceptional (the new model we want to follow).

The remaining difficulty was who to give the final authority to decide about IESG notes. In the course of the discussions a thought emerged that we could think about this in terms of arbitration via a third party. The draft specifies the details of this process in Section 4, which basically states that if for some reason the IESG and RFC Editor have not come to a common understanding after rounds of discussion, there is an opportunity for the IESG to ask the IAB to arbitrate the matter. The IAB can then either direct a particular outcome or leave the final decision to the RFC Editor.

I realize that it is hard to come up with any model that satisfies everyone. For instance, there are members of the community who believe any direction -- even from the IAB -- would reduce the independence of the RFC Editor. However, it is my belief that the above represents a compromise that helps people on different sides of the argument accept the end result. I know this does not satisfy everyone, but I believe we have rough consensus to move forward. Given that RFC 3932bis is in the interface between the IETF and RFC Editor functions, I also wanted to ensure that the IAB finds the result acceptable. During this process I have been struggling to find a model that would work for everyone both in the IESG and IAB. Russ and I spent some time in Hiroshima to talk about this with them, and we now have an OK from this perspective. Perhaps a bit grudgingly acceptance in some cases.

My conclusion is that this is the closest that we can come to an agreement over this. 3932bis represents a significant improvement over the current situation. My sense of the opinion of the common IETF participant is that we should get it over with and stop wasting our time on boilerplates and process :-) As a result, I have decided clear the final Discuss that was blocking the approval of the document.

The final document is available at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis. I hope that we will soon see new RFCs come out with the new headers, and most independent submission RFCs without IESG notes. The IESG has already processed a number of documents where our recommendation was to not have any note.

Jari