Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-melnikov-imap-keywords-06

2009-11-30 12:41:47
Samuel Weiler answers Alexey:
Isn't it enough to have them in a consensus doc?") And how do you expect the expert to encourage/enforce the SHOULD, given the "favour registering it over requiring perfect documentation" guideline? Again, the current text isn't as clear as I'd like.

This is intentional. This is a judgment call by the expert.

This sounds inconsistent. I'm hearing "it's within the scope of the expert's judgement to require an IETF Consensus doc" and "In cases when an IMAP Keyword being registered is already deployed, Expert Reviewers should favour registering it over requiring perfect documentation." If I were an implementer who got told "you need a consensus doc", I'd be more than a little tempted to go ahead and deploy, then reapply for the registration.

That's now how it happens. The consensus issues mostly have been about naming (different names for the same thing), and IMO were caused by lack of knowledge/communication. Merely talking two the expert would likely fix most.

Also, I'd like to mention that Lisa asked two people whether they could serve; both of her nominees are people who would be likely to give helpful answers, not send implementers away with one-sentence answer such as "go write a consensus doc".

Arnt