Re: RIM patents using a mime body in a message (and ignores IETF IPR rules)

2009-12-01 03:54:10
Simon Josefsson writes:
Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> writes:
 Simon Josefsson writes:
There is no requirement in the IETF process for organizations to disclose patents as far as I can see. The current approach of only having people participate, and disclose patents, in the IETF is easy to work around by having two persons in an organization doing different things: one works on specifying and standardizing technology, and the other is working on patenting the technology.

 How can you practically avoid the first person knowing about it?

Make sure (through confidentiality agreements) that the second one do not talk with the first? Putting them in different continents helps.

The patent submitter has to be the inventor, so the person who works on standardisation has to not talk to the inventor at all for this scheme to work. This seems rather far-fetched to me. Not one of my greatest worries.

Arnt