Re: [TLS] Last Call: draft-ietf-tls-renegotiation (Transport Layer Security (TLS) Renegotiation Indication Extension) to Proposed Standard

2009-12-01 05:06:48

On Nov 30, 2009, at 5:37 PM, The IESG wrote:

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Layer Security WG
(tls) to consider the following document:

- 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) Renegotiation Indication Extension '
  <draft-ietf-tls-renegotiation-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2009-12-14. Exceptionally,
comments may be sent to iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead. In either case,
please
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

I oppose publishing the current draft.

There are two unresolved issues still being discussed on the TLS mailing list:
 1. non-extension signaling for older versions (SSLv3 and maybe TLS 1.0)
 2. explicit vs implicit addition of old verify_data to the PRF (also known as
fail-unsafe vs fail-safe)

I think the WG is converging, and that a couple of more weeks of discussion may
lead to consensus.

I agree with David-Sarah Hopwood that a last call (WG or IETF) is still
premature.