NOT RECOMMENDED (was: Re: [TLS] Last Call: draft-ietf-tls-renegotiation)

2009-12-01 22:06:21
On 12/1/09 7:49 PM, Martin Rex wrote:
Stephen Farrell wrote:
7. 6.2 says: "If servers wish to <<avoid attack>> they MUST
NOT <<do stuff>>" Isn't that equivalent to servers SHOULD
NOT? I think a SHOULD NOT is better. (And that's the form
used in section 7.)

This might be confusion with ISO terminology.

   MUST       ==  SHALL
   MUST NOT   ==  SHALL NOT
   SHOULD     ==  RECOMMENDED
   SHOULD NOT ==  NOT RECOMMENDED

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [RFC2119].

It's always puzzled me why the boilerplate quoted above does not include
the phrase "NOT RECOMMENDED", given that RFC 2119 mentions it a mere
five paragraphs later:

   4. SHOULD NOT  This phrase, or the phrase "NOT RECOMMENDED" mean that
   there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances when the
   particular behavior is acceptable or even useful, but the full
   implications should be understood and the case carefully weighed
   before implementing any behavior described with this label.

Is this a spec bug in RFC 2119?

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre