Re: [Fecframe] Last Call: draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec (DVB-IPTVApplication-Layer Hybrid FEC Protection) to Informational RFC

2010-01-07 03:27:27
Thanks. The updated draft looks good.
Colin

On 14 Dec 2009, at 20:55, Ali C. Begen (abegen) wrote:

Sounds like a good suggestion. We will make the text change after the LC ends.

Thanks.
-acbegen

-----Original Message-----
From: fecframe-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:fecframe-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Colin
Perkins
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 11:48 AM
To: fecframe(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Fecframe] Last Call: draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec (DVB-IPTVApplication-
Layer Hybrid FEC Protection) to Informational RFC

On 30 Nov 2009, at 15:35, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from the FEC Framework WG (fecframe)
consider the following document:

- 'DVB-IPTV Application-Layer Hybrid FEC Protection '
 <draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to
the
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2009-12-14. Exceptionally,
comments may be sent to iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead. In either case, please
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec-03.txt

I understand, from previous conversations with the author, that the
aim of this draft is "to explain how one can use IETF specs to
implement AL-FEC protocol". That's a fine goal, and this draft does a
reasonable job in providing such an explanation.

However, I believe - as I previously stated in the working group -
that the relationship between this draft and the DVB AL-FEC
specification is not clearly defined.  While the abstract is
reasonably clear on the relationship, the title and introduction
suggest that this draft is the DVB AL-FEC protocol, rather than being
implementation guidelines for the DVB AL-FEC protocol. One way to
address this might be to change the title of the draft to "Guidelines
for Implementing DVB-IPTV Application-Layer Hybrid FEC Protection",
and to add a few clarifying sentences to the introduction.

I have no problems with the technical content of the draft.

--
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/

Colin Perkins