Re: [codec] WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-08 14:06:36
Subject: RE: [codec] WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec) Date:
Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 04:40:05PM +0100 Quoting Herve Taddei
(herve(_dot_)taddei(_at_)huawei(_dot_)com):
I think it was already pointed out a few times (at least see email from
Ingemar Johannson in November 2009), that this part needs to be modified as
some existing standard codecs (at least G.711, G.722) are already optimized
for interactive Internet applications, are published by recognized SDO
(ITU-T) and can be widely implemented.

G.711 and G.722 are not broadcast quality, while for example CELT is
suitable for music. Some realtime interactive uses of audio over IP
would greatly benefit from 20KHz bandwidth and stereo. Stopping att the
bakelite receiver is a  mistake.

/Måns
--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668