Re: draft-jabley-sink-arpa, was Last Call: draft-jabley-reverse-servers ...

2010-01-11 03:55:23

On Mon, 2010-01-11, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Ie. if .invalid has to be dumped, the replacement should be in .arpa. I
can accept that. _If_ it has to be dumped.

Maybe .invalid was a bad choice in the first place. But that's water
under the bridge.

My understanding was that the intended usages are slightly different:

*.invalid could be used in places that if it accidentally got out onto the
internet it would do no harm to any legitimate domains. It was also
acceptable for a resolver to recognize that .invalid was "invalid" and
short circuit the DNS lookup.

sink.arpa seems to be intended to allow for recursive lookup and a proper
NXDOMAIN to be returned as normal. I think that it is specifically intended
NOT be treated specially by resolvers.

--
Bill McQuillan <McQuilWP(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>