Re: Last Call: draft-gould-rfc4310bis (Domain Name System (DNS) Security Extensions Mapping for the Extensible Provisioning Protocol

2010-01-30 11:54:28
Hi Alexey

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

Many Area Directors put documents on IESG telechats before IETF Last Calls are over. In such cases Area Directors assume that any issues will be settled before the selected telechat date. But a document can be moved to another telechat or taken off any particular telechat at any moment.

Thanks for your clarifications on this.

The current proposal is still premature.

Ok, I will make sure the issues are resolved before the document goes to IESG.

Good.

Furthermore due to lack of a Working Group (and lack of an _official_ IETF mailing list for EPP ), many stakeholders are not even aware of EPP proposals going through standardization, which is somewhat in contradiction to the IETF transparency goals.

Can you please explain your concerns about lack of an official IETF mailing list?

I care about the following:

1) Quality of the Standards
2) Openness / transparency of the Standards process
3) Checks and balance in the system

I am not sure whether the EPP standardization has always addressed these points adequately in the past.

Since the provreg WG has been closed (approx. 7 years ago), quite some standardization work has been done on EPP. The proposals were discussed on the provreg list (hosted outside IETF for historical reasons) and went through the IESG as AD sponsored. I am not sure whether all the relevant stakeholders have been involved in this process adequately.

To come back to your question: An _official_ mailing list hosted by the IETF makes it easier for people, who do not know the history of EPP, to get to know about ongoing standardization work and join the discussion early.

The more I think about, the more I believe we need a Working Group to handle (future) Registry/Registrar related matters such a EPP (but that's a different topic...).

Have a nice weekend!

cheers,
 Bernie

--

http://ucom.ch/
Tech Consulting for Internet Standardization