Gen-ART LC/TC Review of draft-ietf-ccamp-pc-spc-rsvpte-ext-06

2010-02-01 16:57:08
I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-ccamp-pc-spc-rsvpte-ext-06
Reviewer: Ben Campbell
Review Date: 1 Feb 2010
IESG Telechat date: 4 Feb 2010

think there are a few issues that need clarification first, as well as some
editorial issues.

Note: I was assigned this draft to review for IETF last call, but let it slip
through the cracks. This review servers as both a last call and telechat
review. Apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused.

Major issues:

-- This draft defines two different procedures for accomplishing the same goal.
While it describes them as primary and alternative, it is not clear to me if an
implementation is expected to implement both of them, or whether they are
intended to interoperate. It would also be helpful to have some guidance on
when one might choose one over the other.

Minor issues:

-- section 4, 4th paragraph:

ben: When might it make sense to not include the labels? What are the
consequences of not doing so? (i.e. can you motivate why is this a SHOULD and
not a MUST?)

-- section 4.1, 3rd paragraph from end (last bullet list entry):

I'm surprised the notification requirement is only a "MAY". Is that per RSVP-TE
in general, or unique to this scenario?

-- section 4.1, 2nd to last paragraph:

Why only "SHOULD release"? If they don't release state at this time, does it
cause a problem?

-- section 4.2.1.1, 2nd to last paragraph:

Why only a SHOULD? Does it cause problems if the flag is not set?

-- section 4.2.2.3, case III:

The "MAY generate" requirement seems to mean that, even if the RECOVERY LABEL
is present, LSR B may or may not send a PathErr. Is this the intent? Is there
any negative consequence of not sending PathErr if the label is present?

-- section 5, first paragraph:

Do you mean to make a normative requirement that implementations MUST support
both methods? Are the methods intended to be interoperable? (Please excuse my
lack of RSVP-TE knowledge--is it a matter of the ingress node selecting a
method, and downstream nodes just do the right thing, or does each node have to
understand the selected method?) How would an ingress node decide which method
to use? (see "major issue" above)

Nits/editorial comments:

-- Abstract, first paragraph, first sentence:

I can't parse first part of sentence. Should "… connections are controlled …"
be "…connections controlled…"?

-- Abstract, end of last sentence: Should "...Data plane." be "...Data plane
connection."?

-- section 1, first paragraph:

s/"… within Management Plane…"/"… within the [or 'a'] Management Plane… "

-- section 1, third paragraph:

Please expand LSP on first mention.

-- fourth paragraph:

Please expand RSVP-TE on first mention.

-- section 4.1, 2nd paragraph:

ben: What is the antecedent for "it" in "... it supplies the exact path…"

-- 5th paragraph:

Please expand LSR on first mention.

-- section 4.2.1.1 and later:

Figure numbers would be helpful.

-- section 4.2.2.1, 1st paragraph, last sentence:

I didn't find details about PathErr construction in 4.2.1.1 (other than a
requirement to send it)

-- 2nd paragraph:

I don't see any mention of PathTear in 4.2.1.1.

-- last paragraph:

s/PahTear/PathTear

-- section 4.4, Case I

The passive voice in "…deletion procedure MUST NOT be followed" obscures which
node(s) you mean to forbid from following the procedure. I _think_ you mean
that any node in the path MUST NOT…, correct?

-- section 7.1:

Is this intended to recommend IANA choose 25?

-- section 7.2:

Do you mean to recommend a code of 35?

-- section 8:

Last two sentences appear to have missing words.

-- sections 11 and 12

It seems unusual to find Security and IANA considerations after the
contributors section. I'm not sure if that violates any policy or not, but I am
afraid some readers may never read all the way to section 11.

-- idnits returns the following:

idnits 2.12.00

tmp/draft-ietf-ccamp-pc-spc-rsvpte-ext-06.txt:

  Checking boilerplate required by RFC 5378 and the IETF Trust (see
  http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info):

  == You're using the IETF Trust Provisions' Section 6.b License Notice from
     12 Sep 2009 rather than the newer Notice from 28 Dec 2009.  (See
     http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info/)

  Checking nits according to http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt:

     No issues found here.

  Checking nits according to http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html:

  ** There is 1 instance of too long lines in the document, the longest one
     being 1 character in excess of 72.

  Miscellaneous warnings:

  == The document seems to lack a disclaimer for pre-RFC5378 work, but was
     first submitted before 10 November 2008.  Should you add the disclaimer?
     (See the Legal Provisions document at
     http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info for more information.) -- however,
     there's a paragraph with a matching beginning. Boilerplate error?

  Checking references for intended status: Proposed Standard

     (See RFCs 3967 and 4897 for information about using normative references
     to lower-maturity documents in RFCs)

  == Missing Reference: 'RFC 3473' is mentioned on line 637, but not defined

  == Unused Reference: 'RFC3471' is defined on line 852, but no explicit
     reference was found in the text

     Run idnits with the --verbose option for more detailed information about
     the items above.