Fwd: NetFPGA tutorial with IETF in Anaheim

2010-02-08 08:13:49
Forwarded with permission.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Nick McKeown <nickm(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu>
Date: February 8, 2010 16:09:12 GMT+02:00
To: "Eggert Lars (Nokia-NRC/Espoo)" <lars(_dot_)eggert(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com>
Cc: Aaron Falk <falk(_at_)bbn(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: NetFPGA tutorial with IETF in Anaheim

Lars,
Thanks for checking. The NetFPGA tutorial is not a for-profit event.  It
will, in fact, run at a loss.

As you might imagine, running a tutporial is quite expensive. We will be
flying in two instructors, shipping 10 PCs, setting them up, renting a
room, paying for hotel rooms and providing food. Our estimate is that
this will cost around $250 per attendee. We are subsidizing the cost of
the tutorial using money we spend time raising during the year. We offer
about 5-10 tutorials per year, all at a loss.

Running a tutorial like the NetFPGA tutorial for free is not really what
you want. A tutorial like this - with specialized equipment - costs
about $5,000 to run. Someone needs to pay. We are a non-profit, and
raise funds for the salaries of all the people working on the project.

If you think it is useful for the discussion, feel free to forward to
the IETF list.

- Nick