Re: draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-gost

2010-02-11 16:44:27
Stephen Kent wrote:

I recommend that the document not be approved by the IESG in its
current form.  Section 6.1 states:

6.1.  Support for GOST signatures

   DNSSEC aware implementations SHOULD be able to support RRSIG and
   DNSKEY resource records created with the GOST algorithms as
   defined in this document.

There has been considerable discussion on the security area
directorate list about this aspect of the document. All of the SECDIR
members who participated in the discussion argued that the text in
6.1 needs to be changed to MAY from SHOULD. The general principle
cited in the discussion has been that "national" crypto algorithms
like GOST ought not be cited as MUST or SHOULD in standards like
DNESEC. I refer interested individuals to the SECDIR archive for
details of the discussion.

I agree with Stephen Kent.  That needs to be a MAY.

GOST is IMHO _not_ mature enough and not sufficiently understood and
availble to justify a SHOULD or RECOMMENDED for its support/use
in a core internet protocol.

Over the past year we had our SSL/TLS supplier add support for GOST
TLS ciphersuites to add OEM SSL/TLS implementation (in form of a
third-party crypto plugin that can be certified by the relevant
russian authorities).

One of the problems with GOST is its lack of availability of
documentation/specification and the meaning, purpose and
characteristics of algorithm parameters.

Admittedly, I know very little about the cryptographic
details, but there are two GOST signature algorithms
(GOST R34.10-1994 and GOST R34.10-2001). The earlier
appears to bear some similarity with DH, the newer appears to bear
similarity with ECDH.  Whether and how much the -1994 version is
deprecated is also a complete mystery.  There are IETF documents listing
specific algorithm Identifier parameters (sets), referenced by OIDs,
and those OIDs are issued by one particular company.  I haven't
seen any documentation about the characteristics, purpose of
these algorithm parameters sets and the means/process to define
other parameter (sets).

-Martin