Re: Securing DNS Re: IAB statement on the RPKI.

2010-02-19 11:17:28
more ad hominem and irrelevant comparisons.

The key point is choice. Just as some people CHOOSE to install
products such as Norton Anti-Virus that stop certain applications
running on their machine, the typical Internet user should probably
CHOOSE to use a DNS service that has the known crimeware sites
eliminated.

The point is that the particular obsession with 'end to end' solutions
means that we loose the ability to deploy architectures that provide
greater protection against the attacks that actually matter.

DNS hijacking is a very rare type of attack. Securing the mapping of
DNS names to IP addresses will not provide a major reduction in
expected losses due to attacks. We already have domain validated SSL
certificates that meet that need quite adequately.

The value in DNSSEC lies in being able to establish a coherent network
based system of security policy distribution.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Paul Wouters <paul(_at_)xelerance(_dot_)com>