Re: Securing DNS Re: IAB statement on the RPKI.

2010-02-19 11:18:13
If people want to prevent their TCP/IP enabled lightswitches from
viewing porn as well as stopping them from accessing malware sites,
then I guess they could use this mechanism.

I do not consider stopping my computer from accessing malware or
crimeware sites to be 'censorship'. Censorship is what people do to
other people. I have never heard of a anti-porn crusader who says that
they need to be protected from porn, they always worry about what it
would do to other people.

The fact that the DNS can be used as a censorship point only
reinforces the need for the endpoint to be more careful in their
choice of resolution service. The current DNS model was conceived when
a VAX 11/780 only just fit in a standard elevator and cell phones were
considered futuristic spy gadgets. Had the need for endpoints to move
about been considered I don't think the default of taking DNS
resolution service from your local network provider would have been
acceptable.

For a whole host of reasons it is a really bad idea for ICANN or any
other single point authority to be in the business of filtering domain
name issue. Since it is also a bad idea to route packets to names
controlled by the Russian Business Network it follows that most end
points should not be using the authoritative DNS name space.

Given that the vast majority of medium to large sized businesses seem
to already have some form of restriction on Internet access, I don't
see that trying to enforce this by making the DNSSEC protocol issue
failure reports is going to change anything. If the technical measures
were effective then the businesses would simply turn off DNSSEC. But
it is rather more likely that they won't work at all because nobody
has yet worked out what a Web browser should do if it is told that the
site exists but the resolution of the DNS request is blocked. Perhaps
they could send a request for the missing packets by carrier pigeon.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Paul Wouters <paul(_at_)xelerance(_dot_)com>