Re: ietf 1id_guidelines tool broken

2010-03-01 09:41:51
Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
The short response to the information below is that it seems that the
secretariat is still running version 2.12.00 of idnits, while the newer
version 2.12.01 (released 4 Feb 2010) accepts the new boilerplate correctly.
I'm notifying the secretariat so they can update to the newest version.

---

The longer response is that diagnosing this required much more time than
would have been required if all the requested and available information
had been supplied below (instead of flippancy); further comments inline:

On 2010-02-27 00:03 William Allen Simpson said the following:
Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
On 2010-02-26 20:42 William Allen Simpson said the following:
As of Feb 9th, the IESG posted a second status boilerplate.  But the tool
doesn't yet recognize it....  Be warned.
Specifics, please?

 * Is this the idnits tool or some other tool?
 * Which version did you use?
Whatever the IETF Secretariat is using.

Not particularly helpful.  The program version is indicated on the first line
of its output.  It would have been good if you'd provided the full output
below, instead of snipping away part of it.

I forwarded you the full output section that was sent to me by the
"IETF Drafts Team" <internet-drafts(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>.  There is no version.

The sentence before was "Please let me know if you have any questions."

The line after was "Sincerely,"

Obviously, that was all boilerplate.  When I called her, Stephanie had no
idea that there was a problem.  Her hands were tied.

 * What is the output of the tool, given your input?

As indicated earlier, what you provide here is only part of the output, and
you've managed to snip away the part which would have made the actual problem
obvious without detective work.

You are incorrect.  Get off your high horse.  You should have notified the
secretariat of the version change weeks ago.