RE: [IPsec] IETFLC comments for draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2bis-08

2010-03-08 01:17:53
Paul Hoffman wrote:

- One of the changes is listed in Section 1.7 twice. I'd suggest
combining

  In section 1.3.2, changed "The KEi payload SHOULD be included" to
  be "The KEi payload MUST be included".  This also led to changes in
  section 2.18.

and

  Section 2.18 requires doing a Diffie-Hellman exchange when rekeying
  the IKE_SA.  In theory, RFC 4306 allowed a policy where the Diffie-
  Hellman exchange was optional, but this was not useful (or
  appropriate) when rekeying the IKE_SA.

as follows:

  This document requires doing a Diffie-Hellman exchange when
  rekeying the IKE_SA (and thus requires including the KEi/KEr
  payloads).  In theory, RFC 4306 allowed a policy where the
  Diffie-Hellman exchange was optional (and KEi/KEr payloads could be
  omitted), this was not useful (or appropriate) when rekeying the
  IKE_SA.

Disagree. Where possible, I tried to list the actual sections where
changes were made, and your proposed rewording loses the two places.
The current text is more explicit than the proposed change.

Well, this depends on whether you think Section 1.7 should list
textual changes in the document, or clarification/changes to the
protocol.

IMHO, it should be the latter, but I see that currently it's really
listing the textual changes (even when they clearly don't have any
impact on the protocol); so perhaps listing these separately is
consistent with that...

Best regards,
Pasi