Re: [IPsec] IETFLC comments for draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2bis-08

2010-03-08 09:21:05
At 8:16 AM +0100 3/8/10, <Pasi(_dot_)Eronen(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com> wrote:
Well, this depends on whether you think Section 1.7 should list
textual changes in the document, or clarification/changes to the
protocol.

IMHO, it should be the latter, but I see that currently it's really
listing the textual changes (even when they clearly don't have any
impact on the protocol); so perhaps listing these separately is
consistent with that...

The problem with making this list more conceptual (as both you and Tero have
requested) is that doing so may help future implementers but can miss context
that is important to a current implementer who needs to change their
implementation. In this particular example, we have one change that affects two
very different parts of the document, and someone who implemented by reading
RFC 4306 (instead of knowing it instinctively like you and Tero) might really
need to see exactly which bits *of the spec* are changing to decide which bits
of their code is changing.

I will try to come up with a way to cover the conceptual change as well, but
really am loath to remove the section references in the change description.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium