Re: Bar Bof on Federated Authentication Thursday at 9 PM during IETF week

2010-03-10 16:37:57
On 3/10/2010 5:04 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
And there was a time when a Request For Comments was intended to be an
informal note, we seem to have made a mess there as well.

What I find sad about the whole identity/authentication area is the
way that we have so many frameworks and frameworks of frameworks and
complexity for what is a very simple problem. And I am sorry, but
doing the job the user wants done IS actually the easy part.

What is hard about federated authentication is the fact that there are
all these people who already think they have done something important
and that it must be part of the solution.

It's their jobs on the line and their professional credibility.

Todd

The result is a series of Frankenstein monsters with very visible
seams with irrelevant choices the user is presented with.
Something the Sponsor's have no idea about since the members rarely if
ever report to them.

My computer
knows I am logged into my Google mail account to write this note. Why
can't it figure out a seamless and entirely transparent method of
securely communicating that fact to other sites I might want to
access?

because that would mean systems built by many different people would
actually have to work together and that means human ego's would be
damaged...

That is not a hard problem, but it has been made hard by
insistence on irrelevant technology.

Last time we had a BOF on that subject matter we had people with the
bizarre notion that the user interface should be excluded from work on
user authentication.I don't care if usability is outside people's
comfort zone, if any group is going to be chartered in this space it
should be required to address usability issues or we are better off
without it.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Melinda Shore <shore(_at_)arsc(_dot_)edu>