Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-isms-dtls-tm (Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for SNMP) to Proposed Standard

2010-03-11 10:34:15
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:52:25 -0500, Robert Story
<Robert(_dot_)Story(_at_)cobham(_dot_)com> said:

RS> I think that the inconsistent use of 'Client' and 'Server' in the
RS> object names is confusing. Both snmpTlstmSessionOpens and
RS> snmpTlstmSessionOpenErrors are client-side only objects, and
RS> snmpTlstmSessionAccepts is a server-side only object. Putting
RS> Client/Server back in the object names will make it much easier to
RS> understand the output of a snmpwalk without having to refer to the
RS> description clause in the MIB.

This naming scheme was the result of a previous discussion (that I
lost!) and the decision at the time was that the words "client" and
"server" weren't needed in objects that were already only useful for
that type of entity.  IE: "ServerAccepts" is redundant since only a
server can accept new connections.

Because this is already a closed issue I don't see a need to revisit the
discussion.
--
Wes Hardaker
Cobham Analytic Solutions