Re: Towards consensus on document format

2010-03-15 18:15:01
On 16.03.2010 00:02, Masataka Ohta wrote:
Julian Reschke wrote:

The internationalization requirement automatically excludes non-ASCII
characters.

How so?

People can read ASCII internationally. Even though, in Japan, back
slash characters are displayed as JPY mark in most environment,
Japanese know how to read them.

People can read/edit their local characters.

People can't read/edit local characters of other people.

A conservative approach would be:

1) allow non-ASCII contact information *in addition* to the ASCII version

2) allow non-ASCII in I18N example

for 1), it really doesn't matter whether everybody can read it; just stick with the ASCII version

for 2), we should be able to identify a few non-ASCII characters that are suitable for use in I18N examples which *do* work widely (a few greek characters?)

HTML is already too complex and unstable that there is no hope that

UNSTABLE?

Is it still version 1.0?

The current version is 4.01, and it has been stable since 1999. The next version, 5, is approaching Last Call, and is unlikely to break anything that is actually in use.

So your definition of "stable" is that there are no post-1.0 versions? Even compatible ones? Just asking...

Best regards, Julian