Re: Last Call: draft-ogud-iana-protocol-maintenance-words (Definitions for expressing standards requirements in IANA registries.) to BCP

2010-03-18 09:15:38
John,

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:01:26AM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

Interestingly, a few mechanisms for handling that sort of
narrative and organizing information were extensively discussed
several years ago.

Thanks for this.  Do you know whether any of this got as far as being
written in an I-D, or was it just a discussion?  I'll go trolling for
expired I-Ds if I know they might be out there.

Another idea that's been floating around has simply been to put up a
wiki to support all of this, and do it all as a kind of non-normative
support function.  What worries me about that is the (IMO strong)
chance that such a wiki would be badly maintained, but would gain
currency because of its convenience.  But maybe that doesn't matter
too much: if we can't be bothered to maintain such a resource, then
either making our stuff easy to use isn't important to us, or we don't
actually care about conformance as much as we say we do, or both.

If your "broad outline" describes the problem you and Olafur are
trying to solve, I suggest that overloading the information into
IANA registries is the wrong solution, independent of whether
the particular choices of words, etc., are correct.

Just to be clear, I'm responding to all of this without a hat.  I had
no input to the writing of the draft, though I've read it.  I do have
a problem in the WG I co-chair with Olafur, though, so I'm primarily
interested in solving that.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com
Shinkuro, Inc.