Re: On the IAB technical advice on the RPKI

2010-03-18 12:33:12
At 9:15 PM -0500 3/13/10, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
So what has me annoyed about the IAB advice is that they gave advice
about a particular means where they should have instead specified a
requirement.

Phil,

I am not commenting on your proposal, but I do want to make a few observations that are relevant to this discussion.

I believe that the point the IAB was making is that if each RIR acts as a TA, any one of them could make an error (or suffer a compromise) that would allow for conflicting certs to be issued below the affected RIR. The certs used for the RPKI include RFC 3779 extensions. If IANA acts as the only TA, then it will issue certs to the RIRs representing their allocations from IANA. Unless IANA makes an error in this cert issuance procedure (which should be aligned with its allocation of address space to the RIRs), then there can be no (undetected) conflicts among the RIRs re resource holdings. Also recall that IANA needs to act as a TA anyway, for unallocated, legacy, and reserved address space. So the choice the IAB was addressing was one TA vs. six.

You commented that using X.509 certs in this context requires "completely new path validation semantics." The semantics are well-defined in RFC 3779, which was issued in June 2004. I also observe that OpenSSL already supports cert path validation using 3779 extensions, and has done so for at least a couple of years. Note also that the RPs here are primarily ISPs. They will use software that yields outputs consistent with their goals of origin AS validation. Based on the SIDR WG activities, this means validating ROAs, using EE resource certs (which contain 3779 extensions). This is not a context where browsers or other commodity cert processing software will be used. I know of at least two independently-developed, open source implementations of RP software that deal validate ROAs using resource certs. There may be 1 or 2 more implementations in process. Four of the five RIRs have working CA software that issues resource certs, and several of them have adopted the offline/online CA model to which you refer. So concerns about the difficulty of using X.509 certs here seem unfounded.

Given these observations, the public declaration last year by the NRO that all 5 RIRs will offer RPKI service as of 1/1/11, and the ongoing SIDR WG efforts, most of this discussion seems OBE at this stage.

Steve