Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-21 17:02:47
Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830 dot hpcl dot titech dot ac dot jp> wrote:

As many Japanese type Yen sign, when he actually want to input back slash, the JIS character of Yen sign is converted to unicode character of Yen sign, which is not back slash, which was the intention.

I think this means that the user's kludge, in typing a yen sign to get a backslash, is not matched by Unicode with an equal and opposite kludge of converting the yen sign back to a backslash. I guess in the 1960s one could consider this a fault.

Here, it is not a problem of so complicated unicode but a rather simple ASCII and JIS. Even I can't fully predict how disastrous full deployment of unicode could be.

Why don't we ask one of the scores of software vendors that have deployed Unicode, at least as "fully" as this thread is about, just how "disastrous" their experience has been and how much better things would be if they had stuck with ISO 2022 instead?

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­