Re: A state of spin ... presented in ASCII

2010-03-21 17:08:10
Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830 dot hpcl dot titech dot ac dot jp> wrote:

Many Kanji characters in JIS are displayed with Japanese font while many other Kanji characters not in JIS are some Chinese font, because of lack of information of unicode, which has been obvious long before I wrote 1815.

Is it your opinion that inadequate font coverage is the fault of the character encoding?

It should be noted that it is still difficult to understand 1815 if you have limited expertise to use Latin, Greek and Cyrillic characters only.

RFC 1815 claims (a) that Japanese logographic characters and Chinese logographic characters are utterly different, (b) that a lack of language information enforced by a national-standard encoding makes correctly encoded text illegible to Japanese readers, and (c) that Internet-standard encodings should be limited to what was covered by a particular Windows NT font from the mid-1990s. I do find this difficult to understand.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­