Re: [Autoconf] Last Call: draft-ietf-autoconf-adhoc-addr-model (IP Addressing Model in Ad Hoc Networks) to Informational RFC

2010-03-26 13:40:51
Erik,

This paragraph talks about the requirements of the routing protocols, not about the need for routers to move around:
   Routing protocols running on a router may exhibit different
   requirements for uniqueness of interface addresses; some have no such
   requirements, others have requirements ranging from local uniqueness
   only, to uniqueness within, at least, the routing domain (as defined
   in [RFC1136]).

The only requirement I know if in the *routing protocols* is around router ID uniqueness. If you disagree, then can you please explain why there is a need to refer to routing protocols in the above paragraph?

I can see why the text in the document may be confusing. But I think the primary reason we require uniqueness is the one that I explained in the previous e-mail. I would also like to point out that there are *some* routing protocols that *do* require unique IDs -- I'm told that this is the case with OLSR, for instance. So as far as I can tell the text is factually correct, even though I do agree with you that for most routing protocols its not the case.

Jari