Re: Public musing on the nature of IETF membership and employment status

2010-04-09 00:27:24

On Apr 8, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Stephan Wenger wrote:

Hi Fred,

Would you really expect me not to throw my weight (assuming there were one) behind the proposal I fought teeth and claws before—and damage my relationship with my new employer during the first days on the job?

Yep. If you did, most of the people I know around the IETF would never trust you again. Instead, we'd expect you to convert your new employer to your old way of thinking.

Either they're hiring because they think you're smart and they want your input, or they're hiring you to shut you up.

Are you getting a paycheck from your employer, or are you taking a bribe? They aren't the same thing.

--
Dean