Re: Public musing on the nature of IETF membership and employment status

2010-04-09 00:39:58
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Dean Willis
<dean(_dot_)willis(_at_)softarmor(_dot_)com>wrote:

On Apr 8, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Stephan Wenger wrote:

 Hi Fred,

 Would you really expect me not to throw my weight (assuming there were
one) behind the proposal I fought teeth and claws before—and damage my
relationship with my new employer during the first days on the job?

Yep. If you did, most of the people I know around the IETF would never
trust you again. Instead, we'd expect you to convert your new employer to
your old way of thinking.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Dean here, which is kind of weird.

When I take a job, my employer knows ahead of time what my technical
opinions are.  That is *what* they hire me for!

I am no employers' whore, no employers' sycophant, and no employers' sancho.
 And I have the (apparently vain) belief that most other people are such as
well.

And if moving over to an new employer gives you "inside" technical knowledge
that their standards proposal is somehow superior in ways that you were not
aware of before, despite being part of the standards process in that
technological space, that means that that company is trying to pull a fast
one, and is playing fast and loose with the "must reveal" rules, and thus is
being more than a little slimy.