Re: Pointing to IANA registries

2010-04-18 15:10:59
I agree of course that uniqueness should be a MUST.

But while I don't feel strongly about this, I'm actually a little reluctant to put permanent URIs to RFC. First of all, from the point of the RFC in question the registry use is largely a publication-time issue. If I implement RFC XXX all the code points that I need are already verbatim in the RFC. Secondly, for some reason I feel uncomfortable with placing a permanent pointer to the RFC, while I agree that at times it would be helpful. Call me old-fashioned, but I fear that something might change in, say, the next 20+ years. By the way, current use at least for me does not go through a search engine but rather through indirection. I know the IANA registries page, and I search the given registry name from that. YMMV.

(That being said, I wonder if some tool magic would display these references as pointers, just as already happens for normal references.)

Jari