Re: Pointing to IANA registries

2010-04-20 05:30:29
On 19/Apr/10 01:27, John C Klensin wrote:
[...] I wonder whether we might be able to reach an agreement with them to
maintain a stable search format, e.g., to make something like

   http://protocol-registries.iana.org/?registry="Registry-Name";

work permanently and stably for all protocol parameter registries.

+1

Besides the practical aspect of being able to link to a registry from the RFC that defines it, that ability would endow the registry with the official authority conferred by the definition itself. Currently, we have no means to formally ascertain the identity of IANA registries w.r.t. their definition. Therefore, they are not more authoritative than, say, wikipedia pages.