Re: Post-Last-Call document->RFC Changes

2010-04-22 23:34:19

--On Thursday, April 22, 2010 23:45 +0200 Martin Rex
<mrex(_at_)sap(_dot_)com> wrote:

Maybe this is much more of a tools than of a procedural issue?
(I personally don't know the AUTH48 and editing process).

If the RFC Editor would provide his edited document back to the
document author in a format that can be diffed to the approved
I-D with a tool like

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=approved-I-D.txt&url2=RFC-E
dited-I-D.txt

then it should be sufficiently easy for the document author to
quickly and easily review the RFC Editor's changes and their
impact.

The RFC Editor has been providing authors with both proposed
final text and a diff (in "HTML diff" form) for some years.
When  the document is submitted in XML form, the RFC Editor has
also been providing the updated XML and asking that additional
changes or corrections be made directly on it.

So I think the problem to which you are proposing a solution was
solved years ago, and solved more or less the way you are
suggesting.

    john