Re: [KEYPROV] Second Last Call: draft-ietf-keyprov-symmetrickeyformat (Symmetric Key Package Content Type) to Proposed Standard

2010-04-28 14:58:56
The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> writes:

The IESG has received a request from the Provisioning of Symmetric Keys
WG (keyprov) to consider the following document:

- 'Symmetric Key Package Content Type '
   <draft-ietf-keyprov-symmetrickeyformat-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard
The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-keyprov-symmetrickeyformat-08.txt

This document appears to have a normative reference to a patent:

7.1. Normative References

   [FIPS197]    National Institute of Standards.  "FIPS Pub 197:
                Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)", 26 November 2001.

   [LUHN]       Luhn, H., "Luhn algorithm", US Patent 2950048, August
                1960, http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-
                Parser?patentnumber=2950048.

I cannot find a patent disclosure about this on file with the IETF:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/search/?option=document_search&document_search=draft-ietf-keyprov-symmetrickeyformat

I believe the authors should file a patent disclosure about this in
order to comply with the spirit of RFC 3979 section 6.1.3.

Was the patent concern discussed by the WG before the last call?  I
don't recall any discussion about this, but I may have missed it.

What is the licensing for this patent?

Use of the LUHN algorithm does not appear essential for this document,
thus I would prefer that some other non patent encumbered algorithm were
used.

/Simon