Re: [KEYPROV] Second Last Call: draft-ietf-keyprov-symmetrickeyformat (Symmetric Key Package Content Type) to Proposed Standard

2010-04-29 02:19:51
At 13:19 28-04-10, Simon Josefsson wrote:
I did not notice the date.

As your concern seems to be about the disclosure and not the validity of the patent, you could overlook the date.

More worrisome, I cannot read the reference.  The link goes to a page

FYI 36 mentions ISO/IEC 7812-1:1993.

I note that this second Last Call is because the writeup failed to highlight a normative down reference to an Experimental RFC. One of the questions asked before a Last Call was:

  "Has an IPR disclosure related to this document been filed? If so,
   please include a reference to the disclosure and summarize the WG
   discussion and conclusion on this issue."

The answer to that was:

  "There are no concerns with this document. No IPR disclosures have
   been field."

Given that a patent is explicitly referenced in draft-ietf-keyprov-symmetrickeyformat, there should have been a note about that. There shouldn't have been a reference to the patent in the I-D. One of the authors mentioned that it is a bad reference and it will be changed.

On a tangent, authors (I am not referring to any author associated with this draft) should be aware that they are claiming that their "Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79". Saying that there is an open source implementation or that other SDO didn't see any issue is not a disclosure.

Regards,
-sm