Re: Last Call: draft-hethmon-mcmurray-ftp-hosts (File Transfer Protocol HOST Command) to Proposed Standard

2010-05-12 18:04:27
On 5/12/10 2:39 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
 Others may disagree, but our success record when we tell people not
 to do something that works well for them and, in their opinion, poses
 no risks, is terrible.  All saying "FTP is dead, go use something
 else" can accomplish is to drive the work away from the IETF.

In this case, the IETF should say "Use something more secure." The proposed enhancement combines multiple host's credentials to avoid transparent techniques that could offer network isolation as well. Your concern would be valid when there is also a commensurate effort at improving security. Unfortunately, the opposite is true.

-Doug