Re: open protocols x proprietary protocols

2010-05-19 07:07:41
On 17 mei 2010, at 22:05, victor nunes wrote:

For example, if I wanted to write a book about an article or book on some
proprietary protocols, I'd have to ask permission for the patent holders of
their protocols?

You don't need to ask for permission to write a book if the country you're
residing in has freedom of speech. Be careful with including material from
third parties, though, you often need permission for that. Other than that you
want to be clearly either fiction or fact, true fiction or untrue facts can
cause trouble.

That being said: patents are published so no problem there. Some companies only
provide information under NDA or forbid reverse engineering in their license,
so if you publish such information they can get upset. Even more so if you
publish trade secrets.