Re: The point is to change it: Was: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-06-02 18:10:21
ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

As I've stated previously, I believe the main piece that's missing is a
SOHO-grade router that has full IPv6 support, 6to4 support, full
IPv4/NAT/firewall support, plus a readonably intuitive GUI to administer it
all. If such a product exists I continue to be unaware of it.

While I believe that many many millions of SOHO-grade routers out there
are not capable of that and will remain so for easily 5 more years,
they're are fairly easy to "replace".  Change your ISP (after two years)
and you'll get a new router almost free from you new ISP, at least here
in Germany.  And they've made configuring these Routers reallllly easy
for non-techies!  Some ISP are down to a 12 alphanum code that makes
the router download its entire configuration from the ISP.

What about the IPv6 capabilities and configurability of devices that
are much more difficult to configure or update and much more expensive
to replace?

 - Game consoles used for online gaming (XBox,PSP,WII)?
 - Internet-capable Flatscreen-TVs
 - Set-Top boxes (e.g. feature-enhanced DVB-C of DVB-S Receivers)
 - SOHO Network attached storage (NAS)
 - other internet enabled home appliances (e.g. refrigerator)

-Martin