Re: Models of change Re: The point is to change it: Was: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-06-15 12:46:25
Fred Baker wrote:
I have a solution. Let's go through those OS's and rename gethostbyname to GetHostByName.
Put in huge comments everywhere that the character string is found (man pages, which btw
already have this, and in the code itself) "if you use this, you're an idiot".
Make folks use their heads momentarily.

That's actually how a number of problems were fixed in the BSD
libraries.  gcc came along and it flagged some things - as errors -
that weren't really incorrect but were bad practice (writing into
constant strings, for example).

Can't imagine anything like that happening today.  We've gotten a
vendor or two to implement v6 in their products by explaining that
we've got a non-negotiable requirement for it and that we'd be
unable to continue to license their stuff without it.

Melinda