Models of change Re: The point is to change it: Was: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-06-15 10:33:56
Yes, I am aware that some applications are IPv6 only. But I don't
think that they have enough momentum to carry the IPv4 world forward
into IPv6. The applications that are following that route are
self-selecting for requiring little or no IPv4 connectivity.

There are two models of technology adoption that might be applicable
here. The paradigm that I think most IETF transition planning was
based on was vinyl being replaced by CD. The advantages of CD were
obvious to anyone who wasn't an audiophile bore who had spent $5000 on
a turntable and some clever marketing. So the transition occurred even
though it required people to repurchase their vinyl records on CD.

But IPv6 does not deliver a clear technical advantage to the purchaser
over IPv4. So the model that is more appropriate is Betamax vs. VHS
and the question is whether the technical factors that the designers
think people should care about (picture quality, ability to freeze
frame) win over the ones that they actually care about (ability to
record feature length movie on one tape, open standards, availability
of content).

If we were in a vinyl/CD type race then the previous IETF strategy of
attempting to maximize the differences between the technologies would
make sense. In that circumstance you would want to kill off NAT64 and
so on.

But in a Betamax/VHS type contest, attempting to differentiate the new
through obfuscation merely raises barriers to transition. In that
circumstance you want to minimize the differences between the two
technologies so that they can be used interchangeably.

[Oh and I am aware of the ridiculous claims by Lieberwitz and Margolis
concerning the history of Betamax/VHS. As with their work on QWERTY,
it was performed for a DC thunk tank being paid to deliver an argument
that network effects do not exist. As such it is paid advocacy, not
scholarship and their claims do not merit consideration.]

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Thierry Ernst