Re: Last Call: draft-daboo-srv-caldav (Use of SRV records for locating CalDAV and CardDAV services) to Proposed Standard

2010-06-22 09:16:36
At 8:54 AM +0200 6/22/10, Patrik Fältström wrote:
I have together with Olaf Kolkman suggested a new RR type that I call URI that
work similarly to what is described in this draft (regarding the owner of the
RRSET), but a URI in the RDATA. It has been posted to the namedroppers list a
few times...but maybe that has been wrong. Maybe Apps Area should have been
notified about the work a bit more...

Patrik and Olaf's proposal has some big advantages over two-step SRV searching.
To implementers, there will be just one API for many services; now that "web
browsers" are the universal application, this could be a big win. It is also
only one DNS lookup instead of a DNS request followed by a HTTP PROPFIND. It
should be seriously considered (and they should get a new draft out...) instead
of a hodgepodge of scheme-specific methods.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium